Can I control the focuser manually?
AF2 comes with numerous ways of manual control, so you can focus with bahtinov mask or use it for
visual observation without touching the focuser with your hands.
AF2 has the Wifi enabled by default in the Access Point mode. It enables you to manually control
the autofocuser unit, without a physical remote controller and configure manual control
parameters (which also apply to the Hand Controlled, explained in further sections of FAQ).
Connection - on your Wifi-enabled device (Phone, Laptop, Tablet, PC), look for
"DSD-AF2_XXXXX" in the list of available networks. Connect to the network and enter the
password (defaults to "AF2pwd123"). Password can be changed via AF2 Control Panel, explained
in the further sections of FAQ.
Accessing UI - once successfully connected, open a web browser and navigate to
http://192.168.1.1. If the UI is not opened and you are using a smartphone, it could have
switched to the 3G due to lack of internet connectivity on the AF2 AP. Try disabling 3G data
or turn the switching off.
Main UI - main UI consists of 3 sections
- Header: contains current motor position and temperature (if the temperature sensor
- Body: motor control - swipe left or right to move the motor for a preconfigured
number of steps (fine/coarse)
- Footer: fine/coarse selection and button to open the Settings UI
Settings UI - manual control configuration
- Coarse steps: number of steps for coarse movement
- Fine steps: number of steps for fine movement
- Position: position override (when saved, the motor position is set to the entered
- Reverse dir.: reverses the motor direction
- Step mode: step size (1/4 or 1/8)
- Speed mode: Low/Medium/High
- Coils mode
- Always on (recommended): coils are powered at all times
- Idle - off: coils are turned off when focuser is not moving
- Idle - coils timeout: coils are turned off after a specified amount of time
from the last move
Idle - coils timeout (ms): timeout period for Coils mode "Idle - coils timeout (ms).
After this period from last movement, coils turn off.
Current - move: current used for moving the motor. More current results in bigger
torque. 75% is recommended.
Current - hold: current used for holding the position when motor is not moving
(Coils mode "Always on"). More current results in bigger torque. 75% is recommended.
AF2 Control Panel
AF2 Control panel can be used for firmware upgrade, Wifi settings change or as manual control
application. Once connected, you can configure the manual control settings (which also apply to
the Hand Controlled, explained in further sections of FAQ) and move the motor in a variety of
ways: fixed number of steps, 90/180 degrees, specific absolute position, continuous motion,...
Connection - connect it to either of the 2 jack ports on the autofocuser unit.
Interface - 2 buttons, + and -.
Fine/Coarse movement - with a single press, the motor moves for a predefined number
of steps in the current mode (fine/coarse). You can switch from fine to coarse by pressing
both buttons at the same time and vice versa.
Continuous movement - you can move the motor continuously by pressing and holding +
or - button.
Configuration - number of steps for fine/coarse movement, step size, motor speed,
etc. can be configured via Wifi interface or via AF2 Control Panel.